\\<\/iframe\>You never forget your first Kubrick. For me, it was in Ben Wiley's (yes, that Ben Wiley) Motion Picture Criticism class at St. Petersburg Junior (that's what we called it back then) College in 1990, and I instantly fell in love. I can't say I've loved every Kubrick film I've ever seen (I, like Stephen King, thought The Shining let the book down), but Dr. Strangelove remains a favorite.
If you've seen it, you know what I mean. If you haven't, well, here are 10 quotes from this iconic film that should convince you to head to Tampa Theatre this afternoon and watch it as Kubrick intended: in a real movie palace, with a carton of popcorn and a syrupy cola product.
- "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." — President Merkin Muffley, played by Peter Sellers
- "But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought." — General Jack D. Ripper, played by Sterling Hayden
- "Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines." —General "Buck" Turgidson, played by George C. Scott
- "I do not avoid women, Mandrake ... but I do deny them my essence." —General Jack D. Ripper
- "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids." —General Jack D. Ripper
- "General Turgidson, I find this very difficult to understand. I was under the impression that I was the only one in authority to order the use of nuclear weapons." —President Merkin Muffley
- "That's right, sir, you are the only person authorized to do so. And although I, uh, hate to judge before all the facts are in, it's beginning to look like, uh, General Ripper exceeded his authority." —General "Buck" Turgidson
Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb | Tampa Theatre, 711 N. Franklin St., Tampa | July 8: 3 p.m. | $10; $7, members 813-274-8286 | More info here