- PUBLICITY PHOTO
- SOLD OUT: You'll have to scout out for patrons with extra tickets to see Jimmy Fallon tonight.
Every weekend there's stand-up comedy happening across the Bay area, from theater shows featuring household names to comedy clubs offering nationally-touring headliners to the local bar or restaurant showcasing local talent. If you want to see comedians performing live, you have a lot of options.
Here are the biggest comedy shows happening Oct. 17-20.
* Jimmy Fallon at Tampa Theatre Wed Oct. 16. Fallon's used to introducing other comedians to his Late Night program while he cracks jokes from behind the desk. But he's the main act on his Clean Cut Comedy Tour, which stops at Tampa Theatre on Wednesday. Catch him before his impending Tonight Show gig takes up all his time.
Showtime is Wednesday at 8 p.m. Tampa Theatre is located at 711 N. Franklin St. in Tampa. For more information, visit www.tampatheatre.org.
* Dean Edwards at Tampa Improv. The Saturday Night Live alum has been seen on everything from Def Comedy Jam and Showtime At The Apollo to MTV2's Guy Code. Edwards' spot-on impressions of movie stars, comedians and music icons accentuate his pop culture-inspired observations. Expect to hear familiar voices saying and doing very unfamiliar things.
Showtimes are Friday at 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.; Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. and Sunday at 7 p.m. The Tampa Improv is located at 1600 E. Eighth Ave. in Ybor City. For more information, visit improvtampa.com or call 813-864-4000.
- PUBLICITY PHOTO
- LATE ADDITION: Wendy Liebman headlines Side Splitters.
* Wendy Liebman at Side Splitters. A longtime comedy vet (she's appeared on The Tonight Show with both Johnny Carson and Jay Leno), Liebman has also been seen on HBO, Showtime, Comedy Central, MTV and VH-1. Known for her wit and clever phrasing, if you laugh too soon at one of Liebman's jokes you might miss an even funnier punch line at the very end.
Showtimes are Thursday at 8:30 p.m., Friday at 8 and 10:15 p.m. and Saturday at 6 p.m., 8 p.m. and 10:15 p.m. Side Splitters is located at 12938 N. Dale Mabry in Tampa. For more information, visit sidesplitterscomedy.com or call 813-960-1197.
* Michelle Miller Harrington at Snappers Grill & Comedy Club. Harrington has appeared on the comedy showcase Nickmom Night Out and Fox. Her North Carolina drawl sets the tone for witty southern-mom perspectives without the traditional dirty language and topics favored by many comedians.
Showtimes are Friday and Saturday at 7 and 9:30 p.m. Snappers is located at 36657 U.S. Highway 19 North in Palm Harbor. For more information, visit snappersgrill.com or call 727-938-2027.
* Steve Moore at Coconuts (St. Pete Beach). A 20-year comedy vet, Moore has coached (and out-lived) comedians such as Sam Kinison and Bill Hicks. He's a bit of a story-teller, delivering setups and punch lines with a smooth style that reveals his experience on stage. Showtimes are Wednesday-Saturday at 9:30 p.m. Coconuts is located at 6200 Gulf Blvd. inside the Beachcomber Resort. For more information, visit coconutscomedyclubs.com or call 727-360-5653.