Every weekend there's stand-up comedy happening across the Bay area, from theater shows featuring household names to comedy clubs offering nationally-touring headliners to the local bar or restaurant showcasing local talent. If you want to see comedians performing live, you have a lot of options.
Here are the biggest comedy shows happening Oct. 23-27.
* David Sedaris at Ruth Eckerd Hall. Don't think of Sedaris as a stand-up comedian who's written some books. Think of him as an accomplished author and essayist who says really funny things on stage. Like a razor-sharp Woody Allen (is that redundant?), Sedaris has an unassuming stage presence that accompanies his wit in a pleasant and entertaining way.
Showtime is Saturday 8 p.m. Ruth Eckerd Hall is located at 1111 McMullen Booth Road in Clearwater. For more information, visit rutheckerdhall.com or call 727-791-7400.
* Stand-up Here! A Night of Comedy at The Straz Center — Local comedians Joe Riga, Chris Matson and Mark Daniel showcase their talents at the TECO Theater. Headlining the event is Murv Seymour, a former newscaster and current documentarian whose clever observations (and a few funny voices) keep him in demand on stage.
Showtime is Saturday at 8 p.m. The Straz Center is located at 1010 N. MacInnes Place in Tampa. For more information, visit strazcenter.org or call 813-229-7827.
* John Morgan at Tampa Improv. The "Ragin' Cajun" has been seen on MTV and Showtime. His Louisiana drawl almost makes him sound like a preacher on a rant, but you won't hear these bits at any church sermon. He seasons topics such as children and family with spicy language and a confident attitude.
Showtimes are Friday at 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.; Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. and Sunday at 7 p.m. The Tampa Improv is located at 1600 E. Eighth Ave. in Ybor City. For more information, visit improvtampa.com or call 813-864-4000.
* Andy Hendrickson at Side Splitters. Night owls will remember Hendrickson from his appearances on Fox's Red Eye, while others might have seen him on Late Show With David Letterman or the Bob and Tom radio program. While he's not exactly a blur of motion on the stage, Hendrickson delivers a constant stream of slice-of-life premises with clever punch lines at the end.
Showtimes are Thursday at 8:30 p.m., Friday at 8 and 10:15 p.m. and Saturday at 6 p.m., 8 p.m. and 10:15 p.m. Side Splitters is located at 12938 N. Dale Mabry in Tampa. For more information, visit sidesplitterscomedy.com or call 813-960-1197.
* Doug MacCraw at Snappers Grill & Comedy Club (Thursday and Friday). The comedy hypnotist makes volunteers from the audience the stars of the show, putting them into a suggestive state and encouraging them to do and say things they wouldn't do under normal circumstances. The Saturday shows are headlined by Lou Angelwolf, a long-time comedy vet whose observations have kept audiences laughing across the country.
Showtimes are Thursday at 8 p.m. and Friday and Saturday at 7 and 9:30 p.m. Snappers is located at 36657 U.S. Highway 19 North in Palm Harbor. For more information, visit snappersgrill.com or call 727-938-2027.
* Carmen Ciricillo at Coconuts (St. Pete Beach). Ciricillo has been seen at everything from comedy clubs to NASCAR events, and heard on Sirius/XM satellite radio. His no-nonsense attitude and blue-collar humor resonates with audiences whether he's talking about work on a construction job, or tackling the various tasks that come with being a parent.
Showtimes are Wednesday-Saturday at 9:30 p.m. Coconuts is located at 6200 Gulf Blvd., inside the Beachcomber Resort. For more information, visit coconutscomedyclubs.com or call 727-360-5653.
One-Nighters and Independent Shows
* Kojo Prince at Finley's Irish Pub & Eatery. Prince's animated stage presence serves him well as the New Jersey native tears through a fast-paced set.
Showtime is Saturday at 9 p.m. Finley's is located at 13477 Belcher Road S., Largo. For more information, visit finleysirishpub.com or call 727-535-7858.
* Steve Netta at Billy Jack's Burger Shack (free show). Netta's blue-collar, Italian-American approach to life is peppered with witty premises and sarcastic punch lines.
Showtime is Saturday at 10 p.m. Billy Jack's is located at 1479 Belcher Road S., Largo. For more information, call 727-530-1011.