The Hungry Housewife's Guinness Shepherds Pie
1 and 1/2 pounds organic ground beef (80 percent lean)
1 (1lb) bag frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
2 packets of dry brown gravy mix
1 medium onion
2 bottles Guinness
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
3 pounds baking potatoes
1/4- 1/2 cup milk
1 stick butter
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. To make potato filling: Boil the potatoes in salted water until fork tender. Drain completely and place back in pot so all of the water evaporates. In a medium mixing bowl add butter and potatoes. Mash until smooth, while adding the milk for a medium consistency. Add salt and pepper.
3. To make meat filling: Brown and drain ground beef. Place drained beef back in skillet and add 1 bottle of Guinness. Cook until beer has almost cooked out. Add tomato paste to meat.
4. In a medium sauce pan, prepare the brown gravy according to package directions, however use beer for half the liquid called for (1 cup water, 1 cup beer). Pour gravy into meat mixture. Cook meat and gravy together until thickened.
5. In medium skillet, sauté onions with a little olive oil until soft and translucent. Add mixed vegetables to the onions and cook until warmed through.
6. In a 2 quart baking dish, add meat as bottom layer, then add vegetables, and then add the mashed potatoes. Top with shredded cheese. Cook at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is nice and bubbly.
The Hungry Housewife