Our usual compilation of weekend food and drink events doesn't include any Gasparilla festivities. But these should help you avoid the crowds. Arrright?
• On Friday, don't miss Free Samples of Honey Mango Whiskey while you're making a booze run. Distilled in Florida with Sunshine State ingredients, the 80-proof whiskey from Florida Mule Spirits is billed as bold and smooth. Total Wine & More hosts the tasting from 4 to 7 p.m. Free. 1720 N. Dale Mabry Highway, Tampa.
• Dissent Craft Brewing supports the area charities helping government workers impacted by the shutdown throughout Craft Beer for a Cause. Running from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, the benefit event — which features more than 20 community-sponsored taps — is set to donate a percentage of its beer sales to Feeding Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg Free Clinic, Metropolitan Ministries and Humane Society of Pinellas. Free, money for beer. 5518 Haines Road, St. Petersburg. 727-342-0255.
• Suds and speakers collide during the "We Dig St. Pete" Beer+Garden Tour. Kicking off at Cage Brewing at 1 p.m. Saturday, this family-friendly tour is billed as a sustainability-style biergarten experience because it allows local beer buffs to learn about urban agriculture while sipping brews at multiple locations around town. Stops include farmlettes and indoor hydroponic operation Brick Street Farms, where the tour ends with even more beer, food trucks and live music. Proceeds benefit the Sustainable Urban Agriculture Coalition. Find tickets online. $10 adults, $5 kids under 10. 2001 First Ave. S., St. Petersburg.
• The Wheelhouse's first Brewsy Brunch offers menu items like breakfast tacos — just in case you do go a little too hard for Gasparilla (and, well, you will) — and brunch-style pints on Sunday. Sierra Nevada supplies the Brut IPA between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., plus beermosas and "Bloody beers." Free, money for food and beer. 7220 Central Ave., St. Petersburg. 727-623-0589.
• Open to all dietary persuasions, Not Just For Omnivores Brunch pairs endless mimosas with vegan and gluten-free grub, as well as options for meat-eaters. Cafe Hey's popular meal begins at 11 a.m. Sunday. Free, money for food and drinks. 1540 N. Franklin St., Tampa. 813-221-5150.