1. Consider your mode of transportation. For instance, bike everywhere. To the beach, the resort gym, to dinner, to watch the sunset heck, hike to the bar! Wherever youre going, assess your mode of transportation. Even walking along the beach before and after dinner is an excellent way to keep your metabolism up.
2. Drink twice as much water as you normally would. On vacation, youre bound to have a few drinks. If you combine that with heat and humidity, its a first-class ticket to dehydration and if you dont stay hydrated, your body will begin retaining water every beach bodys worst nightmare.
3. Snack on frozen fruit. Keep frozen grapes or berries with you. If youre at the beach or pool and you need a snack, skip the crackers and cookies --they're full of carbs -- and pop something nutritious into your mouth -- like sliced frozen bananas, grapes, and berries. Its also a great trick to help treat a sugar tooth.
4. Choose fish and veggies. This seems like a given but it must be addressed. Embrace the tropical culture and accept the grilled seafood. Skip the steak, burgers, potatoes, fries (really, anything fried).
5. Become a local. Dont be a cheesy, cliche tourist and order frozen drinks like Pina Coladas and Strawberry Daiquiris. Better experiences come from adapting to the island culture, so order yourself a light beer with a lime. Frozen drinks are loaded with sugar that most likely come from a mixture in a box.
6. Swim your little heart out. If youre near the water, use it. Not only will you get an excellent suntan, but you'll get a great workout. If youre 150 pounds and you swim leisurely for about an hour, you'll burn more than 400 calories. Thats four Corona Lights, or a scoop of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.
Consider any or all of these tips on your vacation this summer -- enjoy and be safe!