Applications for the Shuttered Venue Operators Grant opened today, meaning some of the Bay area’s hardest hit venues—including some not listed here since they’ve reduced their calendars to help fight the spread of COVID-19—may get another boost to get them to the other side of the pandemic.
And while positivity rates across the state remain somewhat low—averaging 9% weekly in Hillsborough and 7% in Pinellas, still higher than World Health Organization recommendations—state data showed upward of 5,500 new COVID-19 cases Tuesday. What’s more is that Tampa Bay added 1,227 cases and two deaths Wednesday.
But more than 6.3 million in the state have received at least one jab of vaccine, so that means we’re getting closer to normal.
In the meantime, the local concert scene is finding ways to try and stay on its feet. We’ve marked the gigs at venues that have joined a Tampa-based and city-recognized “Safe & Sound” initiative that pledges to strictly enforce limited capacity, mask wearing and social distancing—and tried our best to explain COVID-19 protocols at venues that not able to join Tampa’s “Safe & Sound” program.
Click through the links of each gig to learn more.
Friday, April 9
- Bankaji w/Old Gregg/Joey Paranoia/Bwoke/Kognitive (Tampa Karaoke VIP, Tampa)
- Dennis Ferrer w/Jask (The Kennedy, Tampa)
- ElectroRoll 2.0: DJ Santana/Just Frank/Dennis Desario (United Skates, Tampa)
- Erika Wennerstrom (Safety Harbor Art and Music Center, Safety Harbor)
- Eyeore w/Camille Trust (Hooch and Hive, Tampa)
- Palladium Live: La Lucha feat. James Suggs and Ken Peplowski mypalladium.org
- Marbs w/S.I.D. (Sounds In Dharma)/Dennis Morales (The Attic at Rock Brothers Brewing, Ybor City)
- The NewArkansans (Ella’s Americana Folk Art Cafe, Tampa)
- Pink Floyd Laser Spectacular (Mahaffey Theater, St. Petersburg)
- #Pound Fridays: Crizzly w/Lizzy Jane/Bernz (The Ritz, Ybor City)
Saturday, April 10
- Hotboii (Limelight, Tampa)
- Lydia Can’t Breathe w/M99/Shadow the Earth/Level the Planet. (Brass Mug, Tampa)
See a list of Tampa “Safe & Sound” live music venues here.
Support local journalism in these crazy days. Our small but mighty team is working tirelessly to bring you up to the minute news on how Coronavirus is affecting Tampa and surrounding areas. Please consider making a one time or monthly donation to help support our staff. Every little bit helps.