It's the first weekend in October, a cold front is on its way to usher in some cool fall breezes, and I have 15 new jams to score your next few days. What more could you want?
Drake and Future dropped a surprise mixtape collab last week, What a Time to be Alive. Future seems to have become Drake's new substitute for The Weeknd, especially considering that particular Canadian PBR&B music maker decided to sign with a different label than Drake's own OVO, fueling barbs by Drake on various tracks. All should soon be forgotten, however, because Future is tearing it up right now. For the WTU playlist, I included "Change Locations," one of the album's standouts. Chad Valley released his new LP today, Entirely New Blue, and it's lovely, filled with earnest jangly odes dealing with love and love lost. "Moon Under Water" grabbed me with its great production, but in reality, the whole album is well-produced and worthy of a listen. Tame Impala's Currents single, "Cause I'm A Man," was recently reworked by indie darlings HAIM, and I love their version. The tempo isn't changed much, but the sisters have added extra synths and percussion to make it unique while not straying too far from the original.
My sleeper tune of the week comes from Australian electro-pop trio RUFUS DU SOL. RDS are fairly new, with only a few EPs and one studio album. The track included here, "Like An Animal," sounds more suitable for summer, but could just as easily be heard in a smoky lounge or after hours nightclub. Tyrone Lindqvist's vocal quality pairs well with mid-tempo beats that are littered with bleeps and keyboard sonics. It's a sexy tune.
1. Steven A. Clark, "Can't Have - Ape Drums Remix"
2. Drake feat. Future, "Change Locations"
3. Daughter, "Do the Right Thing"
4. Keep Shelly in Athens, "Benighted"
5. RUFUS DU SOL, "Like an Animal"
6. Blackalicious, "The Hourglass"
7. Chad Valley, "Moon Under Water"
8. Fort Lean, "Don't Make It a Habit"
9. Illa J, "Never Left"
10. Anna of the North, "The Dreamer"
11. Zhu feat. Gallant, "Testerosa Music"
12. Tame Impala, "Because I'm a Man - HAIM Remix"
13. Kurt Vile, "Dust Bunnies"
14. Big Grams, "Run for Your Life"
15. Astronauts, Etc., "Upward Swing"