A drink with friends after work Friday resulted in a full-blown SoHo stumble (scroll down) â so I didn't manage to stay home the entire weekend as planned. However, I did hunker down last night: read some Elmore Leonard; listened to both discs of the dare-I-say-perfect Eat A Peach deluxe edition, plus the new Ronny Elliott album Jalopypaint (release date: Jan. 15) and the horrid Puscifer debut.
I also watched a rerun of that most excellent SNL episode hosted by funniest man alive Alec Baldwin. The show featured music guest/my pop star crush Christina Aguilera doing a pair of superb performances as well as cameos by Steve Martin, Martin Short and Sir Paul McCartney.
Anyway, here are music links for anyone looking to kill time before kick-off.
- Um, I'm pretty sure that's Amy Winehouse DOING A BUMP OF COKE ON STAGE!
- Can Kanye West make Thriller anniversary/reissue worthwhile?
- Gainesville's Against Me! â the breakout rock band of the year â has heart.
- Tampa American Idol finalist Jessica Sierra does hometown proud (again).
- The return of Led Zeppelin?!?!
- ANTI offers Neko Case reissues (link features free MP3s)
- First Portishead album in 10 years due out in April.
- Blender magazine dubs Pavements' Slanted and Enchanted the all-time best indie rock album. Ouch. I'd go with the Pixies' Surfa Rosa. Or Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville. Or Brian Eno's Another Green World. Better yet, the Velvet Underground's self-titled debut. Anything but Pavement, perhaps the most overrated band ever.
- Bon Jovi over The Boss? Don't be silly.