1. For the latest installment of its Writers at the University Series, University of Tampa presents poet/Iraqi war veteran Brian Turner (pictured), who reads from his collection, Here, Bullet. 8 p.m., Scarfone/Hartley Gallery, free admission.
2. Beloved WMNF singer/songwriter/guitarist Jonathan Richman has been around for decades but remains a cult-status musician. He brings his show to Skipper's Smokehouse this evening and is joined by drummer Tommy Larkins. 8 p.m., $15.
3. U.S. Green Building Council-Florida Gulf Coast Chapter welcomes Jonathan Westeinde and Joe Van Belleghem of British Columbian eco-development group, Windmill Developments, for a special public lecture. The duo presents info about the group's Dockside Green project, a case study of sustainability in the private development business model that features buildings designed to be 45-55 percent more energy-efficient than code minimum, a centralized waste and closed loop on-site water treatment system, and a variety of alternative transit options. 5:30-7:30 p.m., Poynter Institute, free admission.
4. See tonight's debate between Barack Obama and John McCain on the big screen at Beach Theatre. 9 p.m., free admission.
5. Smooth jazz purveyors Spyro Gyra are joined by the Clearwater Jazz Holiday Youth Band for Flavor of Jazz III, a fundraiser that features a cash bar and food samples by 20 Pinellas County eateries. Porceeds support the jazz program at the Marcia P. Hoffman Performing Arts Institute. 6 p.m., Ruth Eckerd Hall, $40.