1. The Hush Sound, a Chicago indie quartet who craft blissfully saccharine pop songs marked by the throaty vocals and lively piano playing of Greta Salpeter, headlines a show at State Theater tonight. They are joined by The Cab, Steel Train and the Morning Light.
The Hush Sound; photo by Matt Wignall.
2. Comedian Jim Florentine of Crank Yankers fame (remember Special Ed and belching, blazing Bobby Fletcher?) brings his stand-up to Side Splitters Comedy Club; he performs tonight through Sunday.
3. Author William McKeen talks about and signs copies of his fantastic new book, Outlaw Journalist: The Life and Times of Hunter S. Thompson, at Inkwood Books this evening.
4. HCC-Ybor Art Gallery opens a new exhibit featuring two exceptional visual arts students: Eric Lawson and Laura Mendes.
5. For the next installment of WMNFs Live Jazz Series, the station welcomes Larue Nickelson, a preeminent Bay area jazz guitarist and composer.