I've always been fascinated by trains. Growing up in Hershey, Penn., my family had a restaurant called Lucy's Cafe on Chocolate Avenue down the street from the famed factory. Locomotives would bring cocoa beans in and ship candy out (see pic). My family lived in one of the apartments above Lucy's (across from my grandma's place) during the summer before I entered second grade.
I'd play in the alley and watch the trains go by. A couple months ago, I visited Hershey for my cousin's wedding and spent a long afternoon walk seeing my favorite childhood play spots. I stumbled down the hill behind the alley just as a train whizzed by, got so close it blew my hair back. My heart raced with fear. Took half a Xanax to calm me down. But I still love trains.
Top 10: Train Songs
1. "I Like Trains," Fred Eaglesmith
2. "City of New Orleans," Steve Goodman
3. "Train of Love," Johnny Cash
4. "Down There By the Train," Tom Waits
5. "Casey Jones," The Grateful Dead
6. "Two Trains," Little Feat
7. "Train Kept A Rollin'," The Yardbirds
8. "Last Train to Clarksville," The Monkees
9. "Midnight Train to Georgia," Gladys Knight and the Pips
10. "Wabash Cannonball," Roy Acuff
WHAT DID I MISS?