Alex Sink on fiscal cliff negotiations: "Difficult to understand Republicans defending tax cuts to top 2%"

Former Florida Chief Financial Officer Alex Sink says the public's patience wih the fiscal cliff negotiations is wearing thin, and that Republicans should consent to President Obama's call for extending the Bush tax cuts for all but the top 2 percent of Americans.

The once and possibly future Democratic nominee for governor spoke to reporters on a conference call Wednesday morning, another indication that she wants to keep herself in the news as she contemplates a run for the Democratic nomination in 2014.

"It's difficult to understand how the Republican Party and the Congress in Washington can be defending the top 2 percent of the wealthiest of Americans and causing the other 98 percent of Americans to be subject to these potential tax increases," Sink said.

She said there's been a lot of rhetoric about the inevitability of "walking" over the fiscal cliff if there is no agreement (the biggest bold-faced name to suggest that was President Obama's Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner, although Wisconsin Republican Senator Ron Johnson has also made such comments). But the former Florida CFO fears that sequestration — the automatic budget cuts that would result — would be devastating to the state's military community and to those who rely on social services.