Only a small handful of them still exist, but one of the original historic homes in Temple Terrace is now for sale.
Located at 319 Belle View Ave.
, the 1,717-square-foot house was built in 1926 by the late New York-based architect Dwight James Baum, who is probably best known for the Cà d'Zan
, John Ringling's 30-room Venetian Gothic revival mansion now located on the grounds of Sarasota's John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art.
Baum, who died of a heart attack in 1939, also designed the Sarasota Times Building, the Sarasota County Courthouse, the Syracuse Memorial Hospital, the Federal Building at the World's Fair and the Recreational Center at Saratoga Spa.
But besides these landmarks, Baum was heavily involved in the initial growth of Temple Terrace, and was behind the second wave of homes in the area during the Florida land boom of the late 1920s.
In total, Baum designed 42 homes within the historic golf community. The first 10 homes were actually designed by architect M. Leo Elliott, who also built Tampa's Centro Asturiano in Ybor City, and the old city hall.
Today, only about 19 of these original Temple Terrace abodes still exist.
This particular Baum house is asking $569,000, and comes with three bedrooms and two bathrooms, as well as original oak and heartwood pine flooring, original Saltillo tile, an exterior home office/studio, and more.
The listing agent for the home is Patty Vergara of Coldwell Banker Realty.