
The program, years in the making, will compensate people who were at the Arthur G. Dozier School for Boys in Marianna and Okeechobee School in South Florida between 1940 and 1975 and โwho were subjected to mental, physical or sexual abuse perpetrated by school personnel.โ
The 2024 legislation required the Florida attorney generalโs office to set up a process to accept, review and approve or deny applications from men who attended the schools.
โThe remaining funds will be released pending the results of the 13 appeals, and additional payments to approved applicants will proceed as those 13 claims resolve,โ Redfern told The News Service of Florida in a text message.
A group of Dozier survivors known as the โWhite House Boysโ โ a moniker derived from the white concrete building where boys were beaten and raped by school workers โ for over a decade traveled to Tallahassee to share their traumas with state lawmakers.
In a Facebook post this week, Charles Fudge, one of the groupโs leaders, called the imminent payments โgreat news.โ
โLet’s remember that although there isn’t enough money in the world to compensate us for the abuse, this is at least an acknowledgement of the abuse by the state, which we doubted could ever happen,โ Fudgeโs post said.
Some survivors were disappointed in the amount of the payments.
โItโs not enough. I think they dropped the ball,โ Roy Connerly, another leader of the White House Boys group, said in a phone interview Thursday.
โIโve been living with this for 60-something years,โ he said. โThatโs a long time to have something on your mind.โ
Connerly recalled the anxiety he experienced as a teenager on the two-block walk from the schoolโs office to the โdark, dingy, smellyโ building with two small, bathroom-sized rooms โ one for Black students and the other for white students โ where beatings occurred.
โThey always kept fear running through you. Mostly the White House, for me, there were some guys that had things a lot worse than I did, but itโs the mental thing that stuck with me the most. Not having any power to do anything about anything,โ Connerly said.
A school employee who beat him with a wooden mallet that had long, leather strips attached to it was a โmonster,โ Connerly said.
โWhen they tell you to lay on the bed, grab the rail, turn your face to the wall, donโt move, donโt make a sound, or weโll start over, you donโt forget. Youโre terrified โฆ thatโs what sticks with me more than anything,โ he said.
Troy Rafferty, a Pensacola attorney who championed the victimsโ cause for years and was instrumental in the passage of last yearโs legislation, welcomed the news that checks would soon be in the mail.
Many of the approved applicants are in their 70s and 80s. At least one survivor has died since his application was accepted. A check will be sent to the applicantโs address and will be available to his estate.
Sen. Darryl Rouson, a St. Petersburg Democrat who also worked for years on the issue, attributed some of the delay in getting legislation passed to uncertainty about the number of men who were still alive and who would seek reparations.
โNo amount of money can erase pain, but it can bring closure, and thatโs the hope here,โ Rouson said in a phone interview Thursday. โThese men are dying every day, and we need to get something in their hands, the state of Florida, to say โIโm sorry for what you’ve suffered and what you went through at the hands of state employees.โโ
Subscribe to Creative Loafing newsletters.
Follow us: Google News | NewsBreak | Reddit | Instagram | Facebook | BlueSky
This article appears in Jun 26 – Jul 2, 2025.
