Lawyers for the state Agency for Health Care Administration, which largely oversees the Medicaid program, last month asked U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle to allow evaluations of patients identified as โSusan Doeโ and โK.F.โ
But during a telephone hearing Monday, Hinkle said the state failed to show the need to subject the children to the two-hour evaluations.
โIf you want to know whether these plaintiffs need this care, probably the crucial place to start is with the treating physicians who said they need this care,โ Hinkle said, noting that the state hasnโt sought to depose the plaintiffsโ doctors. โMy conclusion is these minors should not be compelled to undergo the requested examinations.โ
The DeSantis administration last summer approved a rule to stop Medicaid payments to medical providers for such treatments as puberty blockers, hormone therapy and gender-reassignment surgery after deciding the treatments are โexperimental.โ The costs of such surgeries, services and medications can run to thousands of dollars per month.
Four transgender plaintiffs, including Susan Doe and K.F., filed a federal lawsuit challenging the rule, alleging treatment for gender dysphoria is โmedically necessary, safe and effectiveโ for transgender children and adults. The federal government defines gender dysphoria as clinically โsignificant distress that a person may feel when sex or gender assigned at birth is not the same as their identity.โ
In the lawsuit, parents of the children diagnosed with gender dysphoria expressed concern that the changes to the Medicaid program would have a negative effect on their childrenโs mental health and could even lead to attempted suicide.
In a motion filed Jan. 17, attorneys for the DeSantis administration requested evaluations โto confirm whether or not plaintiffs suffer from gender dysphoriaโ and โwhether comorbidities, such as depression and anxiety, may be the root cause of plaintiffsโ emotional distress.โ
Hinkle initially rejected a request to have South Carolina psychiatrist Geeta Nangia perform the evaluations but gave the state another chance to show how findings from exams would affect โthe controlling substantive issue of whether treatments at issue are experimental.โ The judge also issued an order in November saying that none of the plaintiffs would be required โto submit to an examination by a transgender denier or skeptic.โ
The state submitted a renewed request for the evaluations on Jan. 30, proposing that Louisiana-based psychiatrist Joshua Sanderson conduct the exams. Sanderson in court documents said he believed medical treatment for gender dysphoria should be delayed until adulthood and that such treatments are โexperimentalโ for all patients.
Mohammad Jazil, an attorney who represents the state, told Hinkle during Mondayโs hearing that the plaintiffs have alleged they need the treatments to โalleviate or at least improve their mental anguishโ and that โdenial of the services would adversely affect their mental condition.โ
โThat may well be true, but I donโt quite know that yet,โ Jazil argued.
Evaluations could show if the โminors have comorbidities that canโt be disentangled from gender dysphoriaโ or if the treatments they are seeking โwould exacerbateโ some other mental health issues.
โThatโs another stick in my bundle as I try to show that it was reasonable for the state to conclude that the puberty blockers, which are the focus for the minors, are experimental,โ he said.
But Omar Gonzalez-Pagan, an attorney with Lambda Legal representing the plaintiffs, urged Hinkle to deny the request.
โI donโt think that there has been any articulation in either a motion or todayโs recitation before the court as to why it is absolutely necessary for there to be invasive and intrusive examination of two minor, 13-year-old plaintiffs,โ Gonzalez-Pagan said. โThere is no proven necessity here.โ
In his verbal ruling Monday denying the stateโs request, Hinkle said Sanderson has โalready made up his mind about the need for the treatmentโ at the heart of the legal challenge.
โWhen you analyze the relative burden against the likely benefit, the balance comes out on the plaintiffsโ side of the scale. This examination is unlikely to provide much benefit,โ the judge said.
Since the experts offered by the state claimed that they had examined โthousandsโ of patients diagnosed with gender dysphoria, evaluating two more patients wouldnโt alter their views, Hinkle added.
โThe idea that two more anecdotes would affect the opinion of the defense experts just doesnโt make much sense,โ he said.
The rule went into effect in August, and Hinkle refused in October to issue a preliminary injunction to block it.
DeSantis, who is widely considered a potential frontrunner in the 2024 Republican presidential contest, and his allies have taken a number of steps to curtail gender-affirming treatment. For example, at the Department of Healthโs request, state medical boards recently advanced a proposal to prohibit Florida doctors from using puberty blockers, hormone therapy or surgery to treat children diagnosed with gender dysphoria.
The governor, who frequently brings up the issue during public appearances, fiercely defends the stateโs approach.
โTheyโre doing sex change operations and โฆ so we actually have young adults who went through this when they were minors and theyโre saying this is a huge mistake. And in fact itโs not evidence-based, when you start talking about sex changes and puberty blockers. So โฆ (if) youโre performing those procedures on these minors, youโre going to lose your medical license here in Florida. So that is happening,โ he told reporters in Bradenton last week.
This article appears in Feb 2-8, 2023.

